Asbestos is often dubbed "The Hidden Killer. Although the use of the material has now been banned in the UK, there are still large numbers of properties where Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM's) are present. Any premises that were built, or refurbished, before the year 2000 potentially have Asbestos present.
The Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2002 (updated in 2012) now applies to Churches.
The Regulations place a duty on all those responsible for public buildings - including churches - to safely manage asbestos on their premises thus ensuring that members of the public, tradespeople, building users and the environment are protected from the effects of asbestos.
A key stage in managing asbestos and complying with the Regulations is to identify the location, type, condition and extent of any Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs).This can be achieved by conducting an asbestos survey. The survey will enable an assessment of the risk that Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) pose and indicate whether it is necessary to plan for their remediation or removal.
For guidance documents on how to approach the management of Asbestos in your building please visit the Asbestos Survey and Removal section in our Advice pages You are also strongly advised to consult with your Quinquennial Inspecting Architect for support. Please note that before any asbestos removal works can be carried out on your church you will need to seek the relevant permission from your governing body. For further advice and guidance on obtaining necessary permission please visit our Links for Customers pages in our Maintenance Resources area.
MaintenanceBooker offers you a comprehensive package of services for effective Asbestos Management and compliance with the Regulations. All MaintenanceBooker asbestos contractors are UKAS Accredited (United Kingdom Accreditation Service)
MaintenanceBooker offers the following services:
- Management Survey - A standard asbestos survey. It's purpose is to locate as far as reasonably practicable, the presence and extent of any suspect ACMs in the building which could be damaged or disturbed during normal occupancy, including foreseeable maintenance and installation, and to assess their condition. Any suspect materials will be sampled and analysed for asbestos content. You will receive a register documenting the location, extent and the condition of the material. A report will also be provided with recommendations to ensure that areas of concern are made safe and that all ACMs are safely managed.
- Refurbishment or Demolition Survey - It is a legal requirment to undertake a Refurbishment or Demolition survey prior to major refurbishment or demolition works. This survey is used to locate and describe, as far as is reasonably practicable, all ACMs in the area where the refurbishment work will take place or in the whole building if demolition is planned. This survey looks beyond the surface of the property and its aim is to find asbestos materials hidden within the structure of the building and so prevent the accidental exposure of maintenance and demolition workers to asbestos (as well as members of the public). A register documenting the location,extent and the condition of the material is produced. A report with interim management recommendations will also be provided to ensure that areas of concern are made safe and that all ACMs are safely managed until refurbishment or removal takes place.
- Re-inspection - Any previously identified or suspected ACM must be inspected and its condition assessed periodically to check that it has not deteriorated or been damaged. This inspection should normally be undertaken annually and findings should be updated in the asbestos register.
Asbestos Remediation & Removal Services
Following an appropriate asbestos survey of your premises the next step in the asbestos management process may be for the removal or remediation of any identified ACMs (licensed or non-licensed) as your survey report recommends. You can receive competitive quotes from MaintenanceBooker asbestos removal contractors, who are all fully licensed through ASLIC (Asbestos Licensing Regulations) to undertake the removal or remediation of ACM's from Grade I,II*,II listed and unlisted churches, chapels and historic buildings.
If you have chosen to book this service you can expect the following:
- A detailed risk assessment to be prepared by the removal contractor to establish all risks associated with the proposed removal works, control measures that are required and identify work methods and procedures for contaminated waste disposal.
- A written site plan of works (POW) with specific details of the tasks to be carried out as well as detailed site diagrams for your property before any work with asbestos is undertaken.
- The contractor will notify the enforcing authority (either HSE or the local authority) with details of the proposed work on your property at least 14 days before it is due to start.
- The contractor shall verify that all removal works have been completed to the required standard and organise for an independent, UKAS accredited supplier to carry out a "four stage clearance procedure" (including air sampling) to ensure that your property is safe for reoccupation upon which you will receive a "certificate of reoccupation".
- You will receive all necessary documentation on completion of the work
Asbestos Consultancy Services
If you prefer, you can use MaintenanceBooker to book the services of an UKAS accredited Asbestos Consultant to help you to handle the process of compliance and the ongoing management of asbestos.
You can book the services of an asbestos consultant to:
- Undertake the asbestos survey you require
- Project manage the remediation or removal of asbestos
- Undertake the necessary asbestos survey and project manage the remediation and removal of asbestos
Depending on which service you choose to book you can expect the following:
- The consultant will undertake the appropriate asbestos survey on your premises e.g. management survey, demolition survey
- The preparation of, review and update of your Asbestos Risk Register and Management plan as necessary
- Project management of asbestos removal/remediation works ensuring compliance with the appropriate legislation
- Ensure that all final completion reports, encompassing all elements of the asbestos survey, remedial or removal works are made available to you in electronic format via the MaintenanceBooker system.
Important Tip - To enable MaintenanceBooker contractors to provide you with an accurate online quote for asbestos works you will be asked to provide the GIA (Gross Internal Area) measurement of your building when requesting your quotes. You are advised to consult with your architect and building plans for assistance with this measurement. Further guidance on measuring the GIA of your building is available under the Asbestos Survey and Removal section of our Maintenance Resources Advice pages.